I’m passionate about undertaking research and I would welcome a conversation with anyone who is undertaking, or considering undertaking, projects relating to my research interests within medical education or education more broadly.
Current research interests
- The impact of one-to-one conversational techniques on self-efficacy, motivation and confidence. Selected techniques include: the solution-focused approach, solution-focused coaching and non-directive questioning
- Personal tutoring and academic advising in higher education
- Effective boundary setting with students in higher education
Selected past activity
I published and presented research with Ben Walker into the impact of specific coaching tools and techniques on student performance and emotional well-being. It was funded by The Education and Training Foundation and supported by the team at the Centre for Excellence in Teacher Training at the University of Sunderland.
The research was presented at:
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) International Conference (July 2017)
- UK Advising and Tutoring (UKAT) Annual Conference (April 2017)
- AOC College HE Research and Scholarship Annual Conference (June 2016)
- Education and Training Foundation Annual Research Conference (July 2015)
The research was published in the InTuition Journal – The Journal for Professional Teachers and Trainers in the Further Education and Skills Sector.